Thursday, April 10, 2008

Painting Iron Man...


I recently posted about my good friend, James Gillespie's latest artwork, Iron Boy (see the post here)... which he had created for a local, just-for-fun Iron Man art initiative. Well, with that being said I've finally completed the canvas that I had started... see images and descriptions below.


I admit, I started this piece rather late in the game... I had done a few conceptual thumbnails early on but, decided in the end to just sketch directly onto the canvas... the result is shown above (graphite on canvas).


In my previous experiments on canvas I found that the graphite sketches I would start with on the canvas, tended to really disintegrate the minute the wet media touched it... so, this time around I tried something different, I used a black ballpoint pen to reinforce the lines. I'm not sure how I feel about the resulting look... perhaps next time I'll just sketch in pen to begin with.


Here's a shot of the painting in progress... it must have been taken rather early on in the process.


Here's a detail shot of the almost completed painting, last things to do were to sign it and throw on a varnish. You can see the finished painting (8" x 20", Acrylic on canvas) at the top of this post, as well as more images on Flickr. Cheers!

No comments: