Sunday, August 24, 2008

The Manitoba Museum...


I've uploaded a collection of images to my Zoos, Museums, Aquariums, more... set on my Flickr account, here. These photos were taken during various trips to the Manitoba Museum (or if you're old enough, you might recall it as the Manitoba Museum of Man & Nature). Anyone who has been to the museum will recognize the iconic buffalo hunt diorama that greets you upon entry (as far as I know, it hasn't changed since I first visited the museum ages ago).



Once you've started into the museum and made it past the orientation gallery, you'll soon encounter the early history gallery , which contains some neat fossils, bones, models and dioramas (I've always been a big fan of models and dioramas)...


... from their you'll likely cross paths with a polar bear (albeit stuffed ;P) in the arctic/sub-arctic gallery.



Once you've made it past the polar bear, you'll find yourself in the second section of the arctic/sub-arctic gallery, where once again you'll encounter some neat displays, models and dioramas.



As you continue touring the museum, the next gallery you'll likely come across should be the boreal forest gallery...



A visit to the museum wouldn't be complete without checking out the Nonsuch and Hudson's Bay galleries (above image: a ram's head snuff container amongst the many items on display within the Hudson's Bay Company gallery).

I've always loved visiting museums, and have always felt that the Manitoba Museum is highly underrated (I'd definitely consider it to be 'gem' in our fair, little, city). Anyhow, I hope you enjoyed the pics... I didn't even mention (or show you) the additional galleries which include, the parklands/mixed woods gallery, the grasslands gallery and the urban gallery! You can see my collection of images from all the galleries, taken during my various visits to the Manitoba Museum on my Flickr account, here.

I'd encourage you to visit the museum, if you ever decide to visit Winnipeg or if you've never been to it before. Visit the Manitoba Museum online to learn more, or you can take a virtual tour of the galleries. Cheers!

No comments: