Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Guardian Dojo - Kyokushin Karate


Also mentioned previously, I'm currently studying Kyokushin Karate at the Guardian Dojo - where I feel very privelaged to be under the tutelage of Sensei Diego Beltran, 4th Dan. I've dabbled in various styles of martial arts since youth, and I must say that the Kyokushin experience has been by far the most challenging. This past June we held the first Kyokushin Karate tournament in the Prairies - The 2007 Guardian Challenge, it was a huge success (you can watch some of the action on YouTube, or you can check out some of the wicked pictures that Doug Fedrau took, which I've posted to my Flickr account).

Kyokushin is a style of stand-up, full contact karate, founded in 1964 by Masutatsu Oyama (大山倍達). Kyokushinkai is Japanese for “the society of the ultimate truth.” A very practical method of self defense, Kyokushin emphasizes realistic combat and physical toughness, and it is deeply rooted in the philosophy of self-improvement, discipline and hard training. Its full contact style has gained wide international appeal, with more than 10 million practioners worldwide.

The Kyokushin way is not for many... but if you're interested in training in any type of martial arts, I'd highly recommend that you look into Kyokushin Karate. For more information, visit Guardian Dojo's website at http://www.guardiandojo.com/

No comments: